New connectivity and convenience features are coming this fall to the recently launched 2015 Tahoe and Suburban, enhancing the redesigned SUVs and adding to the momentum of one of Chevrolet's most successful launches this year.
The new features include OnStar 4G LTE with a standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, wireless phone charging capability and a hands-free liftgate. All will be offered in vehicles produced starting in October.
"The 2015 Tahoe and Suburban have resonated with families who want maximum capability combined with comfort and efficiency," said Sandor Piszar, director of Chevrolet Marketing. "These new technologies make Chevrolet's class-leading full-size SUVs even more attractive as the go-to vehicles for active lifestyles."
Chevrolet is the first and only car brand to bring built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi to cars, trucks and crossovers.
Year-over-year Tahoe sales jumped 51.5 percent in July. They're up 18 percent for the year, with Suburban sales up more than 3 percent. Together they hold almost 50 percent of the segment and play an important role in Chevrolet's success – and in General Motors' profitability.
OnStar with 4G LTE with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot is standard on LT and LTZ models. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial (whichever comes first), after which the customer can purchase additional data.
The hands-free liftgate and wireless phone charging are included with the available Luxury Package on LT models and they're standard on LTZ. The hands-free liftgate feature allows a customer with a keyless entry fob – and full hands – to open and close the liftgate by waving his or her foot under a sensor beneath the rear fascia.
With the wireless phone charging feature, a magnetic inductive charging system allows users to simply place their phone on a small mat in the vehicle, where it wirelessly charges.
All-new for 2015
Introduced earlier this year, the redesigned 2015 Tahoe and Surburban are offered in LS, LT and LTZ models, with functionality and technology features including:
- The segment's only Front Center Air Bag (bucket seat models), which deploys from the inboard side of the driver's seat and inflates between the driver and front passenger, providing added protection for both front occupants in side-impact crashes
- Fold-flat second- and third-row seats that enhance cargo convenience – including an available power-folding feature
- Up to six USB ports and six power outlets – including a 110-volt three-prong outlet – to support electronic devices of all kinds for a total of up to 12 charging locations
- Available rear-seat entertainment system with Blu-ray DVD player
- Conversation mirror in the overhead console that provides a panoramic view of the rear seats
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Up to 94.7 cubic feet of cargo room behind the front seats with the rear seats folded in Tahoe and up to 121.1 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats folded in Suburban.
A new EcoTec3 5.3L V-8 engine is standard in Tahoe and Suburban and features direct injection, cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system designed to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions. They contribute to EPA-estimated 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway (2WD models) – a nearly 10 percent increase in highway mileage over the previous models and 7 percent greater city mileage.
Chevrolet supports Tahoe and Suburban customers with two years/24,000 miles (whichever comes first) of scheduled maintenance, covering four oil changes, tire rotations and 27-point inspections. It complements the three-year/36,000-mile (whichever comes first) bumper-to-bumper limited vehicle warranty and five-year/100,000-mile (whichever comes first) powertrain limited warranty.