Citroën has revealed Cactus, a new concept car and a vision for future C-line models. Shedding the superfluous, Citroën Cactus is a desirable, user-friendly car that creates a unique harmony between the distinctive and the practical, offering comfort for all occupants with easy-to-use technology.
Pure and functional styling:
- Strong styling focused on efficiency (light weight & aerodynamic)
- High-tech look and non-aggressive flowing surfaces
- ‘Airbumps', customisable design components covered with a soft skin featuring air capsules that protect the body of the car
- An airy driver's station housing all the controls in a 100% digital interface
- Sofa-style front seats for more comfort
- Natural materials laid out in a stylish, relaxed atmosphere
- A Hybrid Air drivetrain for economic running costs and reduced environmental footprint
- Intuitive connectivity, including access to the Citroën Multicity Connect portal
- The origins of Citroën Cactus began with the C-Cactus concept car, which premiered at the 2007 Frankfurt show.
C-Cactus was a radical automotive approach that posed a number of key questions: What do motorists expect from cars in today's world? And which equipment and features really count? The exercise pushed engineers and designers to make sweeping changes and explore new solutions to motoring challenges. The pragmatic approach avoided the unessential to concentrate on what makes motorists feel good. The end result is the Citroën Cactus – a concept car which previews future models in the C-line.
PURE & FUNCTIONAL STYLING
Citroën Cactus' styling marries the aesthetic with the practical, the designers having sought to find the right volumes and extend efficiency to the smallest details. The idea was to keep only the essential and this approach allowed the designers to break free from classic automotive cues and explore new solutions to bring customers useful equipment and features.
With a shape that is both original yet familiar, the body styling of Citroën Cactus is easy to identify, with:
- Pure and smooth surfaces in pearlescent white
- Flowing contours
- ‘Floating' roof and rear quarter panels
- Contrasting and functional detailing such as Lama grey ‘Airbumps', textured black wheel arches and gloss black roof rack
- A bright and airy cabin with a large panoramic sunroof
A stand out component of the Cactus is the ‘Airbump', located on the sides and bumpers of the car.
Combining style with function, the ‘Airbump' strengthens the appearance and personality of the car with its originality and personalisation possibilities. The supple material features a soft treatment that resists scratches and includes air capsules that absorb impacts.
Combining aesthetics with practical driver needs, the Citroën Cactus places importance on space and efficiency down to the last detail. Only the essentials remain, as the designers worked to break new ground in the form and function.
The Citroën Cactus boasts proportions optimised for efficiency and comfort with:
- The dimensions of a compact hatchback (4.21 m long & 1.75 m wide)
- An ideal balance between one-third glazed area and two-thirds wing surface
- High ground clearance (21 cm) but with an optimised height of just 1.53 m
- Reduced overhangs, with the wheels directly located at each corner
The smooth, flowing styling of Citroën Cactus evokes technology and perceived quality.
At the front, the Cactus hints at the visual styling of future C-line models and is characterised by:
- Smooth surfaces showcasing the chevrons
- Flowing lines with a seamless progression from bonnet to wing
- A high-tech light signature with LED daytime running lights and lamps built in to the ‘Airbumps'
The same principle is adopted at the rear with Citroën's 3D-effect LEDs incorporated into the large ‘Airbump', which protects the boot area.
The unique, radical design adds to the feel-good factor within the ergonomic and comfortable interior. The absence of side and rear windows and B-pillars invites you to discover a cabin that has been completely reworked in terms of architecture, design, colours and materials.
A key objective of the Citroën Cactus concept was to provide more interior space for driver and passengers, ensuring user-friendliness and greater comfort.
The slender, floating dashboard fully frees up the floor below to create a large, easy-access storage space on the passenger side. This design was achieved by the adoption of a 100% digital interface and optimising the driver station, in particular by:
- Replacing the instrument cluster with a 7-inch screen
- Swapping control buttons for an 8-inch touchscreen connected to all vehicle functions (air-conditioning, audio, satnav, connected services and driver aids)
- Installing the passenger airbag on the ceiling
- Replacing the traditional gearstick with push-button controls on the lower part of the dashboard and steering-wheel paddles
Another comforting innovation is the thermally-treated panoramic sunroof which allows light into the cabin, but repels heat and UV rays – comparable to category-4 sunglasses.
Another objective for Cactus was to deliver a stylish and relaxed atmosphere on board. Inspired by contemporary furniture design, the interior layout offers optimum space.
The inviting front seats were designed in the style of a sofa for improved comfort whilst the treatment of the upper storage areas and interior door handles were inspired by luxury luggage styling.
Natural materials such as cotton fabric and ‘camel' leather (vegetable tanned) are used throughout the cabin, including on the steering wheel trim, seats and door handles.
Citroën Cactus technologies are easy to use, economical and environmentally considerate, accessible to all while being resolutely focused on the new needs of motorists.
The Cactus concept features Citroën's revolutionary new Hybrid Air drivetrain – a full-hybrid, compressed air and hydraulics system – which is combined with a PureTech engine to deliver exceptional fuel economy in excess of 94mpg (under 3l/100km).
This innovative and highly efficient system, which requires no additional batteries, is widely affordable thanks to:
- Low-cost per mile use (45% reduction in fuel consumption in urban driving)
- Easy maintenance and servicing through the combination of proven technologies
- No compromises to interior space
In the centre of the dashboard is the eight-inch digital touchscreen which integrates all driving commands. Easy to use, both the driver and passengers benefit from access to Citroën Multicity Connect, a portal of web-connected applications that use vehicle data – including mileage, speed, range and GPS position – to provide information adapted to motorists' needs, such as warning them of traffic delays, locating service stations or tourist destinations.
NEW QUESTIONS, NEW ANSWERS
With a fresh approach to design, architecture and technology, Citroën Cactus stands as a new automotive synthesis. The car's optimistic approach addresses the expectations of people looking to combine practicality with pleasure.
Citroën Cactus is a desirable, user-friendly car, one that is a pleasure to share day by day:
- ‘Simple to live with'. An ingenious design full of intuitive technologies
- ‘Simple to love'. A functional and friendly design
- ‘Simple to share'. A user-friendly interior with a connected driving interface