The Genesis Coupe strikes a menacing demeanor, with an aggressively designed front fascia, grille, headlights, LED daytime running lights, fog lights and hood with heat extractor cues. The side view reveals aggressive 18- and 19-inch alloy wheel designs with deep dimensional sculpting. Finally, the rear taillights provide a visual spark via premium LED illumination and new contours. Traditional rear-drive sport coupe proportions are clearly evident, with a long wheelbase and short front and rear overhangs producing a classic wedge-like profile. Genesis Coupe's bodyside character line is an innovative "Z"-shaped design that integrates seamlessly with a unique, drop-beltline rear window graphic. Also, for 2014, heated outside mirrors and fog lights are standard on all Genesis Coupes.
Genesis Coupe's arching roofline and tapering greenhouse highlight the exterior profile and emphasize the car's broad shoulders and wide stance. To complete the aggressive sports car look, the depth between the fenders and the greenhouse is maximized. Large openings in the front fascia allow for optimal engine breathing coupled with an aggressive look. Dual asymmetrical exhaust tips integrated with the blackout rear diffuser treatment complete the performance message from the rear.
Both 4-cylinder and V6 engines offer sophisticated engine technology, with direct-injection on the 3.8 liter engine and a precise twin-scroll turbocharger with a large intercooler for the 2.0-liter turbocharged engine.
The 3.8-liter Lambda DOHC V6 engine produces 348 peak horsepower at 6,400 RPM, with peak torque of 295 lb.-ft. at 5,100 RPM on premium fuel. In addition, Lambda-engine anti-knock technology gives this V6 the versatility to run on regular fuel whenever required. This direct-injected engine will easily propel the Genesis Coupe from zero to 60 mph in the lower five-second range on its way to an impressive 149 mph electronically-limited top speed. The Lambda V6 intake system also employs an intake sound induction pipe into the cabin to ensure this engine's aural character matches its visceral appeal.
To further broaden the power band, the 3.8-liter engine uses Dual Continuously Variable Valve Timing (Dual CVVT) and a Variable Intake System (VIS) that helps cylinders breathe most efficiently at both low and high RPM. The combination of high-pressure, precisely-metered direct injection with efficient cylinder breathing results in outstanding throttle response and off-the-line acceleration coupled with remarkable fuel efficiency. The V6 engine uses an alloy block and cylinder heads for lighter weight and thermal efficiency and features durable, quiet timing chains with no scheduled maintenance.
All these technologies serve to give Genesis Coupe 3.8 an impressive power-to-weight ratio of only 10.0:1, significantly lower than the more expensive Infiniti Q60 and BMW 435i.
The turbocharged, intercooled 2.0-liter DOHC inline four-cylinder utilizes a twin-scroll design for its turbocharger with a large intercooler for enhanced thermal efficiency. The twin-scroll design is more efficient at recovering exhaust energy and produces cooler cylinder temperatures compared with a single-scroll design. In addition, a twin-scroll design is more precise, with improved combustion efficiency, reduced turbo lag, leaner air/fuel ratios and more evenly distributed pressure in the exhaust ports, resulting in simultaneous power, efficiency and emissions benefits over a single-scroll type. Also, a large intercooler further reduces intake temperatures, providing denser, cooler air from which to develop even more power.
This turbocharged engine also benefits from Dual CVVT on both intake and exhaust camshafts. The 2.0-liter turbo generates 274 horsepower and 275 lb.-ft. of torque on premium fuel. And, unlike many competitive turbo engines, this turbo's anti-knock sensors automatically adjust ignition timing and engine mapping to run perfectly on regular fuel, yielding 260 horsepower at 6,000 RPM and 260 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,000 RPM. The turbo engine also features a lightweight cast-aluminum cylinder block and cylinder head. All this gives the Genesis Coupe 2.0T a power-to-weight ratio of 12.3, superior to the Scion FR-S sports coupe and Honda Civic Si.
Both V6 and 4-cylinder engines also feature deep, baritone-sounding dual cat-back exhausts to complement efficient breathing on the intake side. For 2014, 2.0L Turbo models also feature an intake sound induction pipe, enhancing driver involvement during spirited driving. To ensure that all this power is evenly distributed to the pavement, Genesis Coupe also offers an available Torsen® limited-slip differential on R-Spec and Ultimate models.
The automatic transmissions for both engines have 8-speeds, with an enhanced paddle-shifter design for the SHIFTRONIC® manual-shifting capability. In addition, the 8-speed automatic now precisely rev-matches engine RPM to the exact selected-gear speed, for smooth downshifts into corners and superb dynamic balance.
Both engines are mated to standard six-speed manual transmissions that feature new carbon synchronizer rings for smoother shift action and enhanced synchronizer durability. Each transmission has been specifically tuned to match its engine's unique power and torque curve characteristics.
In addition to the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters, each automatic offers shift capability via the shift lever according to individual driver preference. A clear LCD readout on the instrument panel shows the selected gear at all times for the driver.
Genesis Coupe's body shell makes generous use of ultra-high-tensile steel. The rear-wheel drive powertrain configuration provides a well-balanced 55:45 front-to-rear weight distribution for the 2.0T, and 56:44 for the 3.8 model.
No well-tuned sport coupe chassis should give the perception of being overwhelmed by its powertrain, and Genesis Coupe is no exception to this rule. Spring, damper, and bushing ratings all have been precisely calibrated to match these powertrains with superb road feel, precise body motion control and good ride comfort.
Genesis Coupe employs a MacPherson strut dual-link front suspension and a five-link rear suspension setup. The front suspension is mounted to the body via a solid subframe that is lighter and stronger than a comparable multi-piece component would be. To help reduce body roll and tune the Genesis Coupe's at-the-limit handling for maximum predictability, 23mm diameter front and 19mm diameter rear stabilizer bars are fitted.
While all Genesis Coupe models offer a true rear-drive sport coupe driving experience, the high-performance Genesis Coupe R-Spec and Ultimate models raise the bar even higher with a differentiated, track-tuned suspension. The R-Spec/Ultimate suspension features both firmer front spring rates (seven percent) and rear spring rates (11 percent), with matched damper rates. The Genesis Coupe R-Spec/Ultimate models also deliver a significant increase in roll control over other versions of the Genesis Coupe via thicker stabilizer bars (24mm front/20mm rear). Genesis Coupes also use low-velocity-control dampers for refined ride comfort coupled with excellent body control.
In addition, all R-Spec and Ultimate models receive front strut camber adjustment bolts that can be easily installed in the front strut assembly at their owner's discretion. These camber adjustment bolts allow approximately -1.5 degrees of negative front camber adjustment for sharper, more responsive apex turn-in and reduction of understeer in competitive events.
Of course, superb Genesis Coupe structural rigidity sets the fundamental foundation for dynamic precision, regardless of specific suspension calibration.
Hydraulic, RPM-sensing rack-and-pinion steering has been calibrated with a quick, 13.8:1 ratio, delivering both linear feel and agile response to driver inputs. This steering ratio yields intuitive steering response and precision. To further optimize driver ergonomics, tilt and telescopic adjustment is standard.
HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEMS
Brembo® four-piston calipers clamp down on fade-resistant 13.4-inch ventilated front brake rotors and 13-inch ventilated rear rotors on both R-Spec and Ultimate models. All other models get substantial 12.6-inch front ventilated rotors and 12.4-inch rotors in the rear with floating single-piston calipers.
The 2014 Genesis Coupe interior offers distinctive, upscale features and design cues. The leather steering wheel uses a more premium grade of leather. The instrument panel crash pad features a stitched-seam appearance for a distinctly upscale look, and the parking brake lever is leather-wrapped on leather-equipped models. The instrument cluster features an electroluminescent gauge cluster for premium ambience and superior readability. A driver-side rear seat walk-in assist function provides convenient rear seat access from the driver's side. Convenient seatbelt assist guides make it easy for front passengers to buckle up. Cruise control and floor mats are now standard on all Genesis Coupes, and the Proximity-entry key has been redesigned. A center stack multi-gauge cluster with instantaneous mpg, torque level (3.8 models) or turbocharger boost pressure (2.0T models), and oil temperature is standard on all trims. A center fascia tray with cover provides extra storage, and interior surfaces have a soft touch with low sheen for an up-market feel. Sport front seats with deep side bolsters offer superb lateral support for enthusiastic driving in all trim configurations. For 2014, R-Spec seat bolsters are even deeper for extra support during spirited driving.
Among other premium features are an available Infinity® premium audio system and two-stage front seat heaters. The available navigation system has also been improved for more optimized function and speed of response to commands.
Genesis Coupe offers Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights for brighter illumination intensity, more daylight-like lighting character and reduced power consumption. In addition, the visual cut lines of these HID headlights are razor sharp, providing maximum nighttime visibility to the driver without the risk of blinding oncoming traffic.
Music lovers will welcome the Genesis Coupe's standard auxiliary input jacks (3.5 mm mini-jack and USB input) to accommodate and charge personal audio devices such as an iPod®. When an iPod or flash drive is connected through the USB port in the center storage compartment, not only does it play music through the vehicle's audio system, but it also charges the iPod and allows the driver to access tracks with the steering wheel audio controls. This system also allows both driver and passengers to easily view song/artist/title information and control the music from the audio head unit rather than the iPod unit. This safety-oriented function allows the driver to keep his or her focus on the road at all times.
SEGMENT-LEADING STANDARD SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES
In keeping with Hyundai's focus on offering segment-leading standard safety technologies across its lineup, Genesis Coupe includes a wide range of both active and passive safety features. Standard safety technology includes driver and front passenger advanced frontal airbags, along with front seat-mounted side airbags, side curtain airbags and active front head restraints.
Genesis Coupe has strong unibody construction, along with front and rear crumple zones, bodyside reinforcements and five-mph energy-absorbing bumpers. The hood also includes buckling creases and safety stops.
All Genesis Coupe models feature standard four-channel ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) to optimize brake performance under various dynamic loading conditions. The system also includes Brake Assist, which provides maximum ABS-level braking force when a panic stop is detected.
Electronic Stability Control (ESC), one of the industry's most effective life-saving technologies, is standard in all Genesis Coupe models. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) studies suggest vehicles equipped with ESC experience 56 percent fewer fatalities in single-vehicle crashes than those without it.
In a nod to enthusiasts, Genesis Coupe offers a specially-tuned three-stage driver-selectable ESC mode. This new three-stage ESC function offers more options for various driver preferences and road conditions:
- Full-on ESC function (default mode on start-up)
- Intermediate ESC function with driver powertrain override control and retained ESC/TCS braking function
- Full-off ESC function for uninhibited driver vehicle control in all conditions
The driver-selectable full-off ESC mode has been calibrated to provide drivers with a larger performance envelope should they choose to participate in competitive events such as autocrosses or track days. The Genesis Coupe anti-lock braking system function (ABS) remains fully functional in all ESC modes to help drivers maintain steering control under adverse braking conditions.
HYUNDAI ASSURANCE CONNECTED CARE POWERED BY BLUE LINK®
For 2014, Genesis Coupe Ultimate, Grand Touring and Premium models leverage the Hyundai Blue Link telematics platform further by adding Assurance Connected Care, Hyundai's industry-leading telematics services program. The Connected Care services are standard on these Genesis Coupe trims for three full years. This innovative ownership program provides Hyundai owners with an extra measure of proactive safety and car care services designed to increase peace of mind. Assurance Connected Care provides features such as Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Vehicle Diagnostic Alert, Monthly Vehicle Health Report and in-vehicle Car Care maintenance scheduling.
Hyundai also recently introduced an all-new mobile application for the Blue Link telematics platform. The mobile app allows subscribers to remotely access various optional Blue Link features and services through compatible mobile devices. Completely redesigned from the ground up, the app has been significantly enhanced from the previous version and boasts a new user experience and innovative new features. Google® Android® and Apple iOS® users can download the app today from Google Play® or Apple iTunes®, respectively. A BlackBerry® version is also available.
Blue Link is an innovative telematics solution that brings seamless connectivity for safety, service and infotainment capabilities and is offered in three packages: Assurance, Essentials and Guidance.
BLUE LINK® PACKAGES
Blue Link Assurance package:
- Automatic Collision Notification (ACN) and Assistance – Provides assistance when an accident occurs and an airbag is deployed. In this event, an ACN signal, containing customer and location information, will automatically be transmitted to the response center. Upon receipt of the signal, a response specialist will attempt to establish voice communications with the vehicle occupants and forward any pertinent information to emergency services.
- SOS Emergency Assistance - Customers request emergency assistance by pressing the dedicated SOS button in the vehicle. This action transmits vehicle information and location to specially-trained response specialists, who assist in coordinating the dispatch of appropriate emergency assistance to the customer. The response specialist will remain on the line with the customer until advised assistance has arrived.
- Enhanced Roadside Assistance - Enables customers to utilize their Hyundai Assurance 24/7 Roadside Assistance via a single in-vehicle button-press. With Blue Link, vehicle information (including location) is automatically transmitted to a response center, enabling the specialist to dispatch assistance more quickly and efficiently for vehicle assistance and retrieval.
- Maintenance Alert - Notifies customers in the vehicle as well as via website, email or SMS message that an upcoming service is due leading up to the service date.
- Automated Diagnostic Trouble Code Notification - Provides explanation and repair assistance using vehicle data and off-board diagnosis capabilities to better inform the customer of vehicle diagnostic alerts. A combination of in-vehicle display alerts and guided voice messages provides customers with additional instructions (information is also sent to the customer's preferred dealer to assist with the diagnostic process).
- Recall Advisor - Provides all pertinent recall information should a recall be initiated.
- Monthly Vehicle Health Report and Web Vehicle Diagnostics - Provides a report of vehicle diagnostics and other important information in a monthly email report and web page update, starting 30 days after registering with the Blue Link service.
- Service Link - Connects to a Blue Link agent to schedule a service appointment. For non-maintenance appointments, a recording of the request will be sent to the preferred dealer in advance of the service appointment to help them prepare for the service visit.
Blue Link Essentials package:
- Remote Door Lock/Unlock - Enables locking or unlocking vehicle doors via smartphone application, owner's website, or a toll-free number.
- Remote Horn and Lights - Enables activating the horn and/or lights via smartphone application, owner's website, or a toll-free number.
- Remote Vehicle Start - Enables customers to start the vehicle via smartphone application, owner's website, or a toll-free number for vehicles equipped with push-button start and either automatic or dual-clutch transmissions.
- Car Finder - (Exclusively available via mobile app). Allows you to find your vehicle on a map if you are within a 1-mile radius of your vehicle and to save your vehicle's location for future reference.
- Stolen Vehicle Recovery - In the event a customer's vehicle is reported stolen (and a stolen vehicle report has been filed with the appropriate police department), the response center can provide assistance to the police in an attempt to recover the vehicle.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown - Used with Stolen Vehicle Recovery, this enables law enforcement to gradually reduce the engine power of the vehicle, thus slowing it down to safe levels. A warning will be transmitted to the driver prior to the slowdown procedure.
- Vehicle Immobilization - Used with Stolen Vehicle Recovery, this enables law enforcement to send a signal to the vehicle which immobilizes the engine management system, thus preventing startup. This capability is only valid when the ignition is off, but the command can be saved by the Engine Control Unit for later immobilization if the vehicle is on or in motion at the time of signal transmission.
- Alarm Notification - Notifies customers when and where the vehicle alert is activated via a text message, email or an automated phone call.
- Panic Notification - Notifies customers when the panic button on their vehicle key fob has been activated, signifying when a family member or other vehicle occupant may be in danger. Notifications are configured online and transmitted via email or phone call.
- Valet Alert - Enables alert via email, text message or automated phone message when the customer's vehicle moves beyond a prescribed distance threshold after leaving the vehicle with the valet.
- Geo-Fence - Enables monitoring vehicle movement in and out of pre-defined regions configured on the owner's website. When the vehicle enters or leaves a designated region, the customer is notified by email, text message or automated phone message.
- Speed Alert - Notifies the customer via email, text message or automated phone message when their vehicle exceeds the specified speed threshold established on the owner's website. This provides high value for parents of teen drivers and small fleet customers.
- Curfew Alert - Notifies owners if the vehicle is being used outside a pre-determined time interval. Alerts are configured online and sent via email, text message and/or automated phone message.
Blue Link Guidance package:
- TBT (Turn-by-turn) Navigation Service – Provides turn-by-turn navigation guidance for downloaded Points of Interest. Both visual and audio guidance is provided for vehicles without factory navigation.
- POI Search by advanced voice recognition system and by Web and download - Enables Point-of-Interest in-vehicle searches using an automated voice system. Results can be downloaded to the vehicle navigation system. Live operators can provide additional support, if needed. POI search by Web and mobile app enables sending destinations to vehicle for automatic download after starting the vehicle.
- Daily Route Guidance with Traffic Condition - Enables customers to pre-define several routes to a common destination and receive regularly-scheduled traffic alerts for traffic delays along those routes. Results include flow and incident data, along with "Fastest Route" recommendation (if applicable).
- Traffic - Provides traffic information surrounding the customer's vehicle and in the nearby area, based on preferences established using the owner's website.
- Gas Station Locations and Gas Prices - Locates the nearest gas stations by price and provides brand and regular unleaded fuel price. Results are played back via automated voice and can be downloaded to the vehicle's navigation system.
- Eco-Coach - Monitors the customer's driving performance habits (MPG and CO2 emissions) on a continual and historical basis. Results and environmentally responsible driving recommendations are provided on the owner's website.
- Restaurant Ratings - Provides restaurant ratings for local restaurants with address download for turn-by-turn navigation or onboard navigation.
- Weather - Provides weather forecasts for the immediate area or for customer-defined locations within the owner's website.
Genesis Coupe's aggressive exterior design includes fresh exterior color offerings for 2014, including five new colors added to the palette. These new colors include: Santiago Silver, Ibiza Blue, Caspian Black, Casablanca White and Empire State Gray.
To further complement Genesis Coupe's interior design, color choices include: black or tan leather, gray leather bolster with gray cloth inserts, or a new black leather bolster with black cloth insert and red stitching available on R-Spec models.