Cadillac today announced the ELR electrified luxury coupe will offer a host of upgrades for the 2016 model year, including boosts in acceleration, driving performance and connectivity.
Major product upgrades include a more than 25 percent boost in power and torque, faster acceleration that improves 0-60 mph by 1.5 seconds, higher top speed, retuned chassis and steering for better handling, more responsive brakes and a new Performance equipment package.
"ELR's combination of leading technology with stunningly attractive design is unlike any other coupe in the luxury segment," said Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen. "The upgraded ELR offers enhanced driving performance for buyers seeking uncompromising luxury and exquisite craftsmanship with electrification technology. It is unique in the luxury category, in that it completely eliminates conventional concerns over driving range, which has been the Achilles' heel of other competitors in the luxury segment."
Distinguished by a new grille and Cadillac's new crest, the 2016 ELR, which features the first application of extended-range electric vehicle technology by a full-line luxury automotive brand, will start at $58,495 net pricing after U.S. federal tax credits.
The 2016 ELR's steering and suspension upgrades include:
- Revised calibration of the HiPer Strut front suspension
- Increased front spring rates and a stiffer rear axle
- Stiffer bushings for the front lower control arms, cradle mounts and Watts link in the rear suspension, for more precise control with no loss of ride quality
- Revised calibrations for the Continuous Damping Control system
- Front Damper Rebound Spring added
- New steering calibration tuned to complement the revised chassis and suspension systems
- Revised brake hardware and system calibration for improved application feel.
A new optional Performance Package elevates the ELR's driving experience further with greater handling and braking capability – and a more direct, linear feel for the driver. The ELR Performance Package includes:
- New 20-inch summer-only performance tires – mounted on new sport wheels – that improve lateral grip by nearly 10 percent
- Front Brembo four-piston brake calipers (with the Cadillac script), with 13.6-inch-diameter vented front rotors and 12.4-inch vented rear rotors that improve 60-to-0 mph stopping distance by nearly 12 percent
- Specific calibrations for the Continuous Damping Control and electric power steering systems
- Sport steering wheel with a thicker rim for a sportier feel.
ELR propulsion and drive technology
All 2016 ELRs contain software upgrades to the battery system improving power and acceleration, with EV range growing on the base model.
Additionally, the 2016 ELR has a modified Sport mode that enables the propulsion system to combine engine and electric motor power to take the ELR from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds, a 1.5 second improvement from the current model.
ELR continues to offer Regen on Demand, recipient of Green Car Journal's 2014 Green Car Technology Award. Slightly enhanced for the 2016 model to improve deceleration, Regen on Demand allows the driver to temporarily regenerate energy from the ELR's momentum into electricity and store in the battery pack for later use.
Regen on Demand supports a more engaging driving experience by slowing the vehicle when entering a turn to better position it on the exit, much like downshifting with a manual transmission. Regen on Demand is engaged via steering-wheel paddles adapted from traditional performance cars.
The ELR offers a full driving range of up to 330 miles (530 km), combining pure electric driving and an efficient, range-extending 1.4L gasoline-powered engine-generator. It's a combination that means most daily commutes will require zero gasoline with zero tailpipe emissions. Longer trips are free from electric-vehicle range anxiety because the ELR's technology enables the long-distance travel similar to vehicles powered only by gasoline.
The T-shaped battery pack is located along the centerline of the vehicle, between the front and rear wheels for optimal weight distribution. The 5.5-foot-long (1.6 m), 435-pound (198 kg) pack supplies energy to an advanced electric drive unit capable of 373 lb-ft of instant torque (506 Nm) to propel the vehicle.
Using only the energy stored in the battery, the ELR will deliver an estimated range of about 39 miles (60 km) of pure electric driving, depending on terrain, driving techniques and temperature. The optional Performance Package reduces EV range by about four miles as a result of the enhanced grip of the 20-inch summer-only tires.
ELR's battery can be charged using either a 120- or 240-volt charger. The vehicle can be completely recharged in about five hours using 240V charging, depending on the outside temperature.
The ELR's battery is covered by an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty or 10 years/150,000 miles in states following Air Resource Board guidelines.
The 2016 ELR will be one of the industry's most-connected vehicles, with new and enhanced features designed to extend technologies woven into nearly every facet of customers' lives.
OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial, whichever comes first.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network and the Wi-Fi hotspot supports up to seven connected devices.
ELR drivers and passengers can also recharge their enabled phones wirelessly with a new magnetic inductive charge spot on the instrument panel. There is no need to plug the phone in for charging, leaving the ELR's USB ports free for other devices.
Interior luxury and technology
For 2016, the Driver Assistance active safety systems, optional on the current ELR, are standard and include side blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert and Intellibeam headlamps. Lane change alert and a new vehicle security system are also standard. Adaptive cruise control is available.
Additional interior features include:
- Cut-and-sew interior
- Available Semi-Aniline full leather seating
- Sueded microfiber headliner and supporting trim
- Eight-inch configurable instrument and driver information displays, offering four configurations ranging from elegantly simple to technologically detailed information
- Three USB ports
- Power-assist covered storage/cup holder in the center console
- Fold-down rear seatbacks to accommodate longer items such as skis and golf clubs