Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI) unveiled the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI and WRX (U.S. specifications) models today at the New York International Auto Show (Press day: March 31 and April 1; Open to the public fromApril 2 through 11).
The Impreza WRX STI offers superior driving performance befitting a sports model and is Subaru's performance flagship. The Impreza WRX STI also offers high levels of safety thanks to the Horizontally-Opposed (Boxer) turbo engine serving as a core of the Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system with its excellent weight balance and a low centre of gravity.
Developed under the concept of "The Fastest WRX STI Ever", the 2011 model has achieved even more advanced driving performance due to a finely tuned suspension. To attain such superior performance, the model underwent repeated testing at the Nurburgring track in Germany as well as in Japan, which served to refine the essential nature of the car as a true driver's car that offers "total driving control" with a high level of cornering performance, secure and supreme sure handling, and overall vehicle stability.
New 4-Door Sedan
In order to further pursue the performance expected of a road sports model, a 4-door model has been added to the lineup to provide a new Subaru AWD performance sedan.
New Wide-Body WRX 4- and 5-Door
Adopting the same wide body as the WRX STI, the Impreza WRX features wider tread and tire widths which, together with a finely tuned suspension, provide remarkable improvements to stability and road-holding performance when driving at high speeds. The 4-door and 5-door models have been thoroughly upgraded in terms of styling and driving performance for enhanced product appeal.
[Note: Information provided in this release is based on U.S. specifications.]
Main Improvements for the Impreza WRX STI
- The new 4-door model, along with the 5-door, includes a "wide and low" design concept that is a perfect match for this advanced performance model and gives the impression of dynamic and powerful road presence.
- The corners of the bumpers have been enlarged and the areas around the fog lamps have been blacked out in order to provide a front face shape that expresses a sense of reassuring stability. The newly designed front grill features virile black tones which, together with enlarged grill and bumper openings, serve to project functionality matching the vehicle's high performance. The adoption of a forward-surging shape for the lip spoiler at the bottom of the bumper further enhances the sportiness. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- Like the 5-door model, a blister fender running from the front to the rear, providing a side view with a sense of dynamic movement, has been adopted for the new 4-door model. The rear fender has a strong design that emphasises the wider track of the rear tires and the performance sedan characteristics.
- For the rear view of the 4-door model, the rear fender surface is stretched beyond the outer side of the combination lamps, emphasizing the thickness of the rear end, thereby providing a design that expresses stability. Additionally, the diffuser shape incorporated at the bottom of the rear bumper completely envelops the muffler for a refined, sporty look.
- A striking larger rear spoiler was exclusively designed for the STI 4-door model. The spoiler has a three-dimensional shape in consideration of the aerodynamics of the wing and further serves to symbolise the advanced performance of the WRX STI.
- The twin-dual muffler cutters feature a new design unique to the 4-door model. Stainless steel is used to express both sportiness and high product quality.
- Lightweight 18-inch aluminum wheels have been newly adopted as standard equipment, and these have been given a high luster finish to heighten the sense of luxury. Additionally, the optional BBS 18-inch wheels are provided with a high luster finish. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- The new color of "Plasma Blue Silica" has been added. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
Interior (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- The colors of the instrument panel, door trim and steering decorative parts have been changed to a dark metallic hue. The contrast of this hue with the silver decorative parts produces a sporty cockpit.
- A Bluetooth® function has been added to the standard audio. Additionally, a switch for Bluetooth hands-free communication has been added to the steering wheel to improve convenience.
- A USB jack has been installed inside the console box in order to provide for use of USB input devices.
Mechanisms (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- The overall suspension setup has been completely revised and the vehicle height lowered by 5 mm in order to provide high-precision handling that allows a driver to accurately power through lines exactly as required.
- A new aluminum lower arm has been designed for the front suspension, while the rear arm bushes have been changed to a pillow-ball type. These work to improve toe and tread rigidity in order to provide handling performance that is even more faithful to the driver's steering control.
- The specifications of the sub-frame bushings of the rear suspension have been changed to improve the toe and camber rigidity, resulting in increased vehicle responsiveness and road hugging capability.
- Specialised tuning of the damping force of both front and rear dampers provides secure road-holding ability. Changes to specifications of the front and rear coil springs, and stabilizers have greatly improved roll rigidity.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Major Specifications (US. Specification models)
- Overall Length Ч Width Ч Height (mm): 4,580 (4-door), 4,415 (5-door) Ч 1,795 Ч 1,470
- Wheelbase (mm): 2,625
- Track Front/Rear (mm): 1,530/1,540
- Engine Type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC turbocharged engine
- Displacement: 2,457 cc
- Max. Output: 305 [email protected],000 rpm
- Max. Torque: [email protected],000 rpm
- Tires: 245/40 R18
- Seating Capacity: 5
- Main Improvements for the Impreza WRX
- A "wide and low" body design similar to the WRX STI has been adopted for both 4-door and 5-door models in order to emphasise the performance aspect of each model.
- AWRX garnish has been added to the fenders. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- Specialised 17-inch aluminum wheels have been adopted. The new design and gun metal grey finish provide a sporty look. The lightweight wheels also improve driving performance. (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- Both 4-door and 5-door models are equipped with twin dual exhaust pipes similar to the WRX STI to provide a rear view that expresses power.
- The rear spoiler of the 4-door model has been given a specialised WRX design to emphasise the model's characteristics. The roof spoiler of the 5-door model is the same as that of the WRX STI.
- 2. Mechanisms (For both 4-door and 5-door models)
- With the adoption of a wide body design, the front and rear treads have been widened by 35 mm and 40 mm respectively.Widening of the tires by 10 mm provides more stable handling.
- The specifications of the sub-frame bushings of the rear suspension have been changed to improve stability and road holding performance at high speeds.
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Major Specifications (US. Specification models)
Overall Length Ч Width Ч Height (mm) 4,580 (4-door), 4,415 (5-door) Ч 1,795 Ч 1,475
Wheelbase (mm): 2,625
Track Front/Rear (mm): 1,530/1,540
Engine Type: Horizontally-Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC turbocharged engine
Displacement: 2,457 cc
Max. Output: 265 [email protected],000 rpm
Max. Torque: 244 [email protected],000 rpm
Tires: 235/45 R17
Seating Capacity: 5