As Australia's own small car, the Cruze hatch has been designed at Holden's Port Melbourne design studio, is built in South Australia and has undergone extensive local engineering for Australian driving conditions and tastes.
Holden's world-class expertise in design, engineering and manufacturing has delivered a Cruze hatch that is not only ideally suited to Australian customers and conditions, but one that also appeals to a truly global audience.
It has already launched to critical acclaim in the UK and Korea (where it wears a Chevrolet badge), and is destined to be sold in more than 60 countries.
Cruze sedan is already a huge success in Australia, establishing itself as one of the top five selling cars in the market in just two years. With the addition of the new Cruze hatch Holden now offers small car buyers a stylish and sporty home-grown alternative.
Extensive Australian testing and evaluation covered more than 140,000km and saw a number of key Australian engineering modifications made. Many of these engineering changes have now been adopted globally on both Cruze hatch and sedan.
Cruze hatch is available with a choice of three engines, three transmissions and four trim levels, meaning customers have a range of Cruze options to suit their particular wants and needs.
As part of Holden's ongoing aim to provide great value for money and choice, the Cruze hatch is priced to match the Cruze sedan and shares the same high level of standard features and equipment.
Sporty Design and High Level of Standard Features
The design process was led by Holden's Port Melbourne Design Studio. The brief was simple, but challenging: create a car that delivers a sporty and youthful look with a practical rear load space that was recognisable as an integrated member of the Cruze family.
It's striking coupe-like profile accentuated by the low roof, short front and rear overhangs, rising belt line, and sculpted rear hatch topped with an integrated spoiler provide the Cruze hatch with a particularly athletic aesthetic.
The design of the front and rear fascia treatments emphasise the car's wide, solid stance and contribute to its sharp and muscular presence.
Inside, the new Cruze hatch shares the sedan's dual cockpit design with quality finishes, soft-touch components and an integrated centre stack that flows seamlessly into the centre console.
Holden's designers have worked hard to produce a five-door hatch that is both stylish and practical with clever design delivering a rear load space that offers a 413 litre capacity from its well-finished luggage space. This expands to a large 1254 litre capacity when the standard 60/40 split rear seat backs are folded flat.
With the no-cost option full-size steel spare fitted, cargo volume is still a very competitive 325 litres, with multiple storage compartments built under the boot floor to provide nine litres of handy cargo space.
As with all Holdens, the new Cruze hatch is very well equipped for comfort and convenience with standard features across the range including:
- Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free mobile phone use from compatible devices
- Voice recognition for certain Bluetooth functions including dial, redial, save and add-voice tags
- Air conditioning
- Cruise control
- Trip computer
- Front and rear power windows
- Six-way adjustable driver and front passenger seats
- Automatic lights with programmable "follow-me home" headlight functionality and remote keyless entry
- Steering wheel-mounted remote audio and cruise controls
- Advanced six-speaker multimedia audio system with AM/FM radio, in-dash MP3 compatible CD player, and USB input with iPod compatibility to enable complete control of the device through the audio system controls.
- Cruze hatch CD models feature stylish 16-inch wheel covers
- Ice blue dash illumination
The mid-range CDX model gains:
- 17-inch alloy wheels (four)
- Front fog lamps
- Leather appointed seats, steering wheel and gearshift
- Rear park assist
- Three-setting heated front seats
- Exterior chrome headlights
Cruze hatch SRi adds an injection of sports DNA with additional features over the CD model:
- Sports body kit comprising unique front and rear fascias and side skirts
- Rear lip spoiler
- Front fog lamps
- Leather wrap steering wheel and gear shifter
- Chrome grille header and chrome insert door handles
- Five-spoke 17-inch alloy wheels (four)
- Seats with Sportec bolsters are available in a choice of Jet Black or Sonic Blue fabric depending on the exterior colour continue the sports theme
The top of the range SRi-V model combines all the sports features of the SRi and adds a sense of luxury with the addition of:
- Leather appointed seats that include a three-setting heating function for the driver and front passenger
- Passive entry and start with sensor key technology (keyless entry and push button start and stop)
- Rear park assist
- Large 7-inch full colour screen now adds touch-screen functionality to control the integrated satellite navigation and premium six-speaker DVD/CD audio system. This audio system not only offers MP3 and iPod compatibility via a USB connection but with a 10GB hard drive also enables storage of CDs and MP3s and the ability to pause live radio
- Voice recognition that allows voice control over certain radio, audio system and navigation functions including selecting radio stations, audio tracks, navigation settings and preset destinations
Powerful and Economical Powertrains and Agile Dynamics
The new Holden Cruze hatch offers a choice of three powerful yet economical engines that offer the same level of refined performance and fuel efficiency as the Series II Cruze sedan range.
The Holden Cruze engineering team have ensured the CD and CDX hatch models maintain the same economical fuel consumption as the equivalent Series II Cruze sedan models. This has been achieved in part thanks to the sleek aerodynamic shape of the hatch and through a number of minor adjustments and modifications to mechanical components.
At the top of the range, the SRi and SRi-V Cruze hatch feature Holden's latest generation, direct-injection turbocharged Ecoline 1.4 litre iTi (intelligent Turbo induction) engine that generates 103kW of power and a healthy 200Nm of torque over a wide rev range.
Despite offering the performance of a larger displacement engine, the 1.4 litre iTi returns 6.4 litres per 100 kilometres when paired with the six-speed manual transmission (CD model) and 6.9 litres per 100 kilometres when mated to the optional six-speed Active Select automatic transmission (CD model).
The mid-range CDX model offers a choice of a 1.8 litre ECOTEC petrol or Ecoline 2.0 litre turbo diesel engines, with the petrol engine developing 104kW of power and 176Nm of torque. Mated to the standard five-speed manual transmission, this engine delivers a fuel economy of 7.0 litres per 100 kilometres or just 7.4 litres per 100 kilometres when combined with the optional six-speed Active Select automatic transmission.
As the most fuel-efficient car built in Australia, the 2.0-litre diesel manual Cruze hatch offers a superb combination of economy and performance with maximum outputs of 120kW and 360Nm and a fuel consumption figure of just 5.6-litre per 100km with the standard six-speed manual gearbox and 6.7-litres when mated to the optional six-speed Active Select automatic transmission.
Buyers of the entry-level CD model are offered even greater choice with all three engines available with their respective standard and optional transmissions.
Like the Cruze sedan, its agile dynamic characteristics are ensured with a MacPherson strut front and Compound Crank Axle rear suspension for 1.8 litre petrol and 2.0 litre diesel models while the sportier 1.4 litre turbo uses a performance-tuned Watts Link rear suspension and electric power steering to provide enhanced sporting attitude and agility.
While the new Cruze hatch is a stylish, sporty, practical and refined small car, Holden has ensured it also offers the highest degree of safety, with a five-star ANCAP occupant protection rating across the range.
With a particularly stiff and strong body shell, the safety performance of the car is enhanced by a long list of standard features across the range, including six airbags (driver and front passenger front and side and full-length side curtain), Electronic Stability Control incorporating anti-lock braking system, brake assist, electronic brakeforce distribution and traction control.
All five seating positions feature adjustable head restraints and three-point seatbelts with the front seatbelts offering sash height adjustment and pretensioners with load limiters. To help reduce driver leg injuries in a crash, Cruze also features a collapsible pedal release system.
- 1.4 litre DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder iTi turbo petrol
- Power: 103kW @ 4900 rpm Torque: 200 Nm 1850-4900 rpm
- 1.8 litre DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder ECOTEC petrol
- Power: 104kW @ 6200 rpm Torque: 176Nm @ 3800 rpm
- 2.0 litre SOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder common rail turbo diesel
- Power: 120kWkW @ 3800 rpm Torque: 360Nm @ 1750 rpm
- 5-speed manual transmission (1.8L petrol)
- 6-speed manual transmission (1.4L petrol; 2.0L diesel)
- 6-speed automatic transmission with Active Select (1.8L petrol; 1.4L petrol; 2.0L
The 6-speed manual transmission is manufactured in Aspern, Austria; all other transmissions are manufactured in Gunsan, South Korea.