The new-generation Lexus GS 350, introduced for the 2013 model year, delights luxury aesthete and enthusiast driver alike, with engaging performance that never compromises the brand's renowned ride smoothness, and ride comfort that does not take the edge off performance. Leading a long list of enhancements for 2014, a new eight-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel paddle shifters debuts for the rear-wheel drive (RWD) model, heightening performance response and improving fuel efficiency.
Behind its distinctive spindle grille, which creates an unmistakable brand identity, the Lexus GS 350 delivers a powerful yet refined kick from a 306-horsepower 3.5-liter V6. The unique combination of both direct fuel injection and additional port fuel injectors ensures ample power and torque at all engine speeds. The dual exhaust tips emit a muted growl under acceleration, and a hushed tone at cruising speeds. The available F SPORT Package, which can be paired with either the RWD model or with the available all-weather drive (AWD) system, sharpens the handling aptitude and driver engagement without disrupting the renowned Lexus smoothness and refined demeanor.
The Lexus all-weather drive option is an all-season traction and handling enhancer in the GS 350. Using an electronically controlled center differential, the system can vary the front-to-rear torque balance from its default ratio of 30:70 to as much as 50:50, depending on driving conditions. The driver will feel the result in higher traction on slippery roads, but will not feel the system's seamless transitions.
Long a leader in user technology that's easy to use, Lexus has integrated Siri® Eyes Free Mode, with technology licensed from Apple®, in the 2014 GS 350. Compatible with the iPhone® 4S and iPhone 5 models forward, Siri lets you call contacts, select and play music from iTunes®, get turn-by-turn navigation through Siri and Apple maps, and much more. To help you keep eyes on the road and hands on the wheel, Siri can read notifications, read calendar information and allow you to add reminders, calendar appointments and notes.
The Lexus Art of Luxury
Even with its sweeping, coupe-like profile, the Lexus GS 350 provides ample headroom for rear-seat passengers. The new-generation GS offers greater rear headroom, knee room, legroom and foot space than the previous GS, yet in a sleeker package. The trunk, too, grew with the redesign and can easily accommodate four golf bags.
The sumptuously detailed cabin, trimmed in perforated leather and matte dark brown walnut wood, comes with standard 10-way power front seats. Some competitors charge extra for leather, even in this price range. Rear seat passengers are treated no less regally, with deeply scalloped seats providing excellent support and generous legroom for long trips.
Lexus recognizes that temperature is a personal preference, with passengers often having diverse needs. The GS 350 addresses this situation quite effectively. A first-in-class technology, the energy-saving S-Flow automatic climate control system detects if there is a front passenger and directs airflow only to the occupied front seat or seats.
With the optional heated and ventilated front seats, the 2014 GS 350 gains the Climate Concierge feature similar to that in the Lexus LS flagship sedan. In the GS 350, the system automatically monitors the temperature of three separate climate zones and adjusts not only the fans, but also the temperature of the seats and steering wheel individually. Each zone will achieve its pre-set level of comfort as quickly as possible.
Control Via Touch or Voice
The addition of Siri Eyes Free function complements the user technology already in place in the GS 350. The next-generation Remote Touch with one-push confirmation is standard and enables smooth, intuitive control of climate, audio, phone, the optional navigation system and more. A standard rear back-up camera helps adds security and convenience.
Located front and center, and central to that technology, a vibrant high-resolution control display provides easy access to a multitude of vehicle features. Equipping the GS 350 with the optional navigation system adds a stunning 12.3-inch multimedia display with split-screen capability. You can view a large map display on the left side while also monitoring audio, climate or other vehicle information on the right.
Lexus Enform® Helps Keep You Connected
Lexus has expanded connectivity in its vehicles while helping to reduce driver distraction. The foundation of this capability, Lexus Enform, can make a compatible Bluetooth smartphone even smarter. The available Enform service, with Destination Assist, eDestination, and App Suite, comes with the available Navigation System. Lexus Enform provides access to the subscription-free App Suite. These voice-enabled apps let you search the Internet through Bing™, make restaurant reservations through OpenTable®, get movie tickets via MovieTickets.com™, listen to Internet radio, including , Pandora®, and iHeartRadio™, search business reviews on Yelp®, and check in on Facebook Places™.
Lexus Enform with Safety Connect is available by subscription. Complimentary one-year trial subscriptions are included on all purchases of new Lexus vehicles equipped with these features. Safety Connect is standard on all vehicles while Lexus Enform with Safety Connect is on all vehicles equipped with the optional Navigation system. The Lexus Enform and the Safety Connect response centers operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—every day of the year.
Lexus Enform vehicles are factory ready for subscriptions to a variety of innovative SiriusXM®services including NavTraffic, NavWeather, Sports, Stocks and Fuel. SiriusXM services offer complimentary one-year trial data subscription.
In the new-generation GS 350, Lexus put more control over vehicle performance at the driver's fingertips with the Drive Mode selector. In addition to Normal mode, the system offers ECO mode, which sets throttle mapping, seat heating and climate control systems for optimal fuel economy. When driving in ECO mode, instrument meter lighting changes to blue.
The GS 350 really comes alive in SPORT S mode, with throttle mapping delivering sharper response and transmission shifting priorities altered to hold gears longer under acceleration. Instrument meter lighting changes, appropriately, to red when driving in SPORT S mode.
With the F SPORT and Luxury Packages, the GS 350 gains a fourth driving mode, SPORT S+. The "plus" widens system engagement to also include a sport setting for the Adaptive Variable Suspension, electric power steering system and Vehicle Dynamic Integrated Management (VDIM). The result is the most engaging GS driving experience ever, yet still while maintaining the classic Lexus smoothness and comfort.
F SPORT Package Channels Supercar Spirit
Taking inspiration from the Lexus LFA supercar, which recently completed a 500-unit production run, the F SPORT Package for the GS 350 amps up handling with a comprehensive chassis makeover. The special sport-tuned suspension substitutes firmer springs, larger front brakes with high-friction brake pads, an Adaptive Variable Suspension damping system, thicker stabilizer bars, a variable gear ratio steering system and specially tuned bushings. Not surprisingly, the GS 350 F SPORT maintains outstanding ride composure even with its amplified handling acuity.
On top of F SPORT, the GS 350 can also be equipped with the Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). So equipped, the rear-wheel steering can add up to two degrees of input, with the variable gear ratio steering system also adding input at the front wheels for exceptionally controlled cornering performance.
The F SPORT stands apart with exclusive front bumper and rear lower valence styling, a rear lip spoiler and F SPORT mesh grille inserts. The rear bumper integrates a distinctive exhaust diffuser and centered aero fins to help control underbody airflow. Exclusive F SPORT design touches continue in the cabin with smooth, striated aluminum trim, unique perforated leather upholstery and trim, a black headliner, aluminum pedals and a three–spoke F SPORT steering wheel.
The Cabernet Red leather interior available exclusively in conjunction with the F SPORT is not for the shy.
A unique touch in all GS 350 models, and a reflection of Lexus luxury values, the analog clock is carved from a single ingot of aluminum for a smooth consistent appearance and uses LED indicators.
What's New for 2014
- Flush mounted sensors for available Intuitive Park Assist
- Full color display added to optional Heads-Up Display
- Available Blind Spot Monitor adds Rear Cross Traffic Alert and power-folding mirrors
- Luxury Package changes: LED foglamps, Superchrome finish for 18-inch wheels, and the rear armrest control panel display adds display option to view radio station and song title information.
- Optional power trunk opener
- Lexus Night View system discontinued
- 306 horsepower, 3.5-liter DOHC V6 with dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i).
- EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 19 mpg city, 29 mpg highway and 23 mpg combined (RWD).
- Improved intake and exhaust sound characteristics via an intake sound enhancer and optimized muffler chamber complement the bolder personality of the new-generation GS 350.
- New for 2014: eight-speed sequential shift automatic transmission with paddle shifters and sport driving logic
- Front and rear aluminum control arms help reduce unsprung weight and endow the GS 350 with enhanced agility, sway damping, ride comfort, body control and steering precision compared to the previous version.
- Ventilated disc brakes feature four-piston aluminum front calipers and are equipped with the latest electronic enhancements to help provide braking balance and control.
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels paired with 225/50R17 tires, and optional 18-inch alloy wheels equipped with 235/45R18 tires.
- The GS 350 F SPORT is exclusively equipped with 19-inch staggered width wheels paired with 235/40R19 front and 265/35R19 rear summer compound tires for RWD models, while AWD models will have 235/40/19 all-season tires in the front and rear.
- The GS 350 F SPORT RWD offers an optional Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH) system with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS). This newly developed technology offers Lexus' first integration of DRS; Electric Power Steering; and Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS). Monitoring vehicle speed, steering direction and driver inputs, the system calculates the optimum angle for all four wheels. Using VGRS in the front and DRS in the rear, the system can independently manage front and rear wheel steering angles to help enhance turn-in response, rear grip, vehicle control and overall agility when cornering.
- Standard Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM) anticipates loss of vehicle control and governs all of the vehicle's dynamic handling systems –Anti-lock Braking System, Brake Assist (BA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and Traction Control (TRAC)- with the electronic throttle control system. VDIM employs these systems collectively and seamlessly to help make corrections while allowing higher dynamic capability. The system also provides a limited-slip differential effect.
- The GS is standard equipped with 10 airbags, including a knee airbag for both driver and front passenger, seat-mounted side airbags for outboard rear seats, and side curtain airbags for all four outboard occupant seating positions.
- Whiplash Injury Lessening front seats reduce the space between the occupant's head and headrest to help limit excessive head movement, and help decrease the severity of whiplash-type injuries in certain types of rear end collisions.
- Available options to help further enhance occupant safety include a Pre-Collision System (PCS), which uses the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System to provide early warning of upcoming objects that might result in a collision. The system uses an infrared camera with new scanning technology to monitor the direction the driver's eyes are looking. In the event that the driver does not appear to be looking forward when a collision appears imminent, the system will initiate the warning at an earlier threshold. If the driver still does not respond and make the appropriate maneuver, the system will initiate braking intervention up to 1.2 seconds prior to impact, designed to help lessen the severity of the collision. With available Lexus Dynamic Handling, PCS will help further mitigate the occurrence of a collision.
- Other optional equipment includes a color Head Up Display, a Blind Spot Monitor that helps detect vehicles in rear/side blind spots and Lane Keep Assist (LKA) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW).
- Standard entertainment and connectivity advancements include enhanced Bluetooth capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- Standard DVD audio and video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, 5.1 simulated surround-sound from normal two channel sources such as MP3 files and CDs, and a high-resolution eight-inch central control display centrally located high up in the instrument panel.
- HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging and a three-month all-access trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio are standard.
- The available 17-speaker Mark Levinson premium surround sound audio system has 7.1 channel surround-sound through 10 channels using a new class D Digital amplifier with a clean 835-watts from 20-20,000hz at only 0.01 percent total harmonic distortion.
- 48-month/50,000-mile basic limited warranty with roadside assistance for 48 months/unlimited miles.
- 72 months/70,000 miles powertrain and restraint system coverage.
- 72 months corrosion perforation protection coverage, regardless of mileage.