Innovative New Renault Clio Estate breaks new ground on the sports tourer market, with its attractive styling inspired by range-topping models. The athletic bodyshape contains all the functionality and modularity expected of segment B estates. The roomy 443dm3 VDA boot can be extended to a full 1,380dm3 by folding down the 1/3 - 2/3 split rear bench seat. When the front passenger seat is folded flat, New Renault Clio Estate boasts an unmatched loading length of 2.48m from the tailgate to the glove compartment.
New Renault Clio Estate offers all the qualities of the New Clio hatch, from comfort and safety, to vitality, features worthy of higher segments and two multimedia options. It heralds the launch of R-Link, Renault's multimedia tablet that forms an innovative link between the car and a networked lifestyle. The catalog of R-Link apps is unparalleled on the automotive market, and is available right from system launch.
New Clio Estate is equipped with a selection of latest-generation engines, including the Energy TCe 90 3-cylinder petrol unit and the Diesel Energy dCi 90 powerplant, which consumes just 3.2*l per 100km and is on a par with hybrids in terms of C02 emissions, outputting just 83* g / km. The renewed engine range is completed by the arrival of the EDC dual-clutch gearbox, which will be available on the TCe 120 engine in the first half of 2013, and on the dCi 90 at a later date. Launch: first half of 2013.
INSPIRED BY SHOOTING BRAKES
Renault has added an original take on an estate to its New Clio range that continues the brand's drive towards irresistibly attractive styling. New Clio Estate arrives hot on the heels of New Clio hatch, the first vehicle in the range that fully expressed the renewal of Renault Design, initiated by Laurens van den Acker. With its refreshingly attractive lines and distinctive personality, inspired by sports tourers from higher up the range, New Clio Estate is clearly the second descendant of DeZir.
ELEGANT AND PRACTICAL
New Renault Clio Estate was one of the major revelations on the Renault stand at the 2012 Paris Motor Show. While it shares the same dynamic breeding as the hatchback, New Renault Clio Estate has its very own identity, with its carefully honed and fluid silhouette. Measuring 4.267m in length, this compact break is both high on style and accommodating. The wheelbase is the same as the hatchback, but at 825mm, the rear overhang is 204mm longer.
Research reveals that estate-car customers are strongly drawn towards the aesthetic design cues of shooting brakes. New Renault Clio Estate certainly has that style, along with practicality and versatility for good measure.
With its long bonnet and pronounced shoulder line, the profile flows smoothly to the rear, where the straight tailgate emphasizes the volume of the boot. As on the hatchback, the rear door handles are concealed in the C-pillars. The quarter light uprights and center pillars are integrated in the glass surfaces, producing an impression of harmonious continuity. The tailgate is topped by a curved wing above the rear window that elongates and stretches the line of the roof, which appears to float elegantly.
New Clio Estate is also fitted with roof bars (aluminum in certain finishes) that blend in with the roof line. The optional glass roof makes for an even brighter interior.
With New Renault Clio Estate, personalization finally comes naturally to a genuine sports tourer, and is available to the greatest number and in the top-selling versions.
The personalization offer is made up of three distinctive finishes - Trendy, Elegant and Sport – and a range of configurations of external hues, one dominant color for the decor and wheels, plus a graphic theme. Personalization was built into New Renault Clio Estate right from the drawing board, enhancing the car's strong personality with zones dedicated to the custom features that were reserved as part of the vehicle's design process. The mid-range versions can be personalized too, for an attractive and modular offer, and the factoryinstallation of the custom features guarantees incomparable quality.
For the exterior:
A number of features can be personalized:
- gloss black lacquer on the door mirror housings, rear bumper apron and side protective moldings, plus five different shades for the trim on the grille, rear hatch and side protective moldings (chrome, black, red, blue or ivory).
- black and ivory for the 16" diamond-effect wheels, plus four colors for the 17" diamond-effect wheels (black, red, blue and ivory).
For the interior:
- Four ambience color schemes in the Dynamique equipment level: black, red, blue and Havana on the dashboard edging and door panels and upholstery trim. A finishing touch for each ambience comes in the form of carpet mats, available as accessories.
- The steering wheel, door panels, gear lever surround and air vent surrounds and are available in seven schemes: four colors (black, red, blue, Ivory) and three decorative finishes (Trendy, Elegant and Sport), directly incorporated using in-mold technology.
Like the hatch version, New Renault Clio Estate will be available from launch in a choice of eight body colors, including the distinctive launch color, Flame Red, which takes its inspiration from the DeZir concept car.
Non-metallic finishes: Glacier White, French blue, Inca Yellow
Metallic finishes: Ardent Brown, Diamond Black, Flame Red, Mercury Grey, Oyster Grey
THE MOST PRACTICAL CLIO OF ALL
The highly modular New Renault Clio Estate will appeal to customers looking for a bold design and advanced functionality.
The boot measures 443dm3 under the rear shelf, with the rear bench seat in position and the floor removed, a full 143dm3, or 50%, more than the hatchback, of which 85dm3 is under the extractible floor in the boot. When the 1/3 - 2/3 split rear bench seat is completely folded away, the boot measures 1,380dm3.
Access to the boot is made easier by the exceptionally low loading sill, at a height of 604mm (150mm lower than in the hatchback), that is also flush, so that objects can slide rather than having to be lifted. The tailgate opening is also larger than in the hatchback, measuring 685mm in height (+133 mm) and 994mm (+ 89mm) at its widest point. Bicycles and other large objects fit in the boot quite comfortably.
THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE FLAT-FOLDING FRONT PASSENGER SEAT
The front passenger seat with a backrest that can be fully folded towards the dashboard is a specific feature of New Renault Clio Estate. Combined with the flat floor function, the fully folding passenger seat offers a "record-breaking" loading length of 2.48m in all versions. Furniture or long objects, such as surfboards, can be transported comfortably and easily: an exceptional feature in this type of supermini estate.
ROOMY STORAGE COMPARTMENTS
New Clio Estate occupants benefit from plenty of practical stowage space located throughout the cabin:
- a tray in front of the gear lever which can hold items like a portable music player, mobile phone or portable CD player
- a large seven-liter glove box capable of containing a 1.5-litre bottle of water
- a 1.2-litre tray situated above the glove box for keys, a mobile phone, gate remote controls and a telephone
- three easy-to-access cup holders and additional stowage for small items between the seats at the foot of the centre console
- stowage in the optional central armrest (almost one liter)
- bins in each door designed to contain a 1.5-litre bottle of water
AND MORE HEADROOM TOO
With an extra 15mm of headroom in the rear seats compared with the hatchback, New Renault Clio Estate offers even more space for family and friends.
THE MOST FUEL-ECONOMICAL PETROL AND DIESEL ENGINES
New Renault Clio Estate also innovates through the quality and fuel-economy of its engines, which place it in the forefront of the estates in segment B, thanks to:
- the brand new Renault Energy TCe 90 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, combining performance and economy: homologated at 4.5l / 100km and 104g of CO2 / km.
- the best diesel on the market: the most fueleconomical version of the Renault Energy dCi 90 fitted with Stop&Start consumes just 3.2l / 100km and emits only 83g of CO2 / km (figures homologated according to NEDC regulations).
- the combination of the Efficient Dual Clutch transmission and the downsized TCe 120 EDC petrol engine, available in mid-2013, achieves moderate consumption while offering a dynamic drive. The EDC will be available with the dCi 90 engine in the course of 2013.
FUEL SAVINGS THROUGH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY
Stop & Start: automatically stops the engine when the vehicle is at a standstill and in neutral. Energy Smart Management (ESM): charges the battery when the demand for energy drops under braking and when decelerating. Flap control: optimizes the vehicle's aerodynamics by automatically adapting the air flow through the radiators to the engine's cooling requirements.
A DYNAMIC, SAFE AND COMFORTABLE RIDE
New Renault Clio Estate has been specifically finetuned to offer the same quality of comfort and performance as the hatchback:
- The Macpherson-type front suspension is linked to a right-angled triangular lower wishbone with twin bushes. This configuration blends sharp handling with excellent comfort and minimizes the effect of longitudinal and transverse loads. A high level of transverse torsional stiffness also benefits road holding without compromising the car's ability to soak up longitudinal shocks, which is vital for the comfort of occupants.
- The rigid sub-frame guarantees responsive handling and also improves steering precision.
- The rear suspension comprises a programmeddeflection torsion beam with coil springs. To optimize cornering stability, an anti-roll bar is incorporated the deformable profile.
- Polyurethane bump stops for more progressive shock absorption.
- Very direct electric power steering (2.71 turns, lock to lock).
- Pendulum weights and carbon synchromesh rings that ensure faster, smoother gear changes.
FEATURES BEFITTING HIGHER SEGMENTS
Like every other generation of Renault Clio, New Renault Clio Estate stands out by packing in features that are brand new or usually only found in vehicles in higher segments.
Almost all of the engines are equipped with hill start assist. Every version is equipped with the cruise control-speed limiter, ESC, traction control, ABS, emergency brake assist and variable-rate electric power steering. For greater comfort of use, all the versions are equipped with a keyless electronic card, a height- and depth-adjustable steering wheel, electric door mirrors and window lifts and one-touch indicator lights. Certain versions are equipped with automatic climate control complete with an active charcoal/carbon pollen filter and a toxicity sensor.
Every version of New Renault Clio Estate are fitted with the Renault Bass Reflex, which delivers the volume and listening enjoyment of a 30-litre home speaker enclosure. The bass frequencies are more powerful, while the saturation and distortion thresholds are pushed back. All the radios feature the Bluetooth® function to make hands-free telephone calls and to listen to music stored on portable devices in audio streaming mode with topquality sound reproduction. All the radios are fitted with USB and jack ports.New Clio Estate also features a reversing camera connected to the multimedia systems.
The versions equipped with R-Link also benefit from 3D sound by Arkamys®. Thanks to special digital signal processing software, this system adds depth and texture to listening pleasure thanks to spatial positioning of the sound (selection of the zones covered by the sound inside the cab: for the driver only, for front occupants only or for all occupants).
MULTIMEDIA INNOVATION BY RENAULT
New Renault Clio Estate boasts a unique double multimedia system, with its central docking station for an integrated 7" tablet. The navigation system, radio, telephone and networking for mobile appliances are all grouped together in the same place. But MEDIA-NAV and Renault R-Link serve different but close-fitting purposes:
- Accessing essential multimedia functions is easier than ever with MEDIA-NAV. With its 2D and 3D birdview displays, and audio and multimedia data functions, the Nav N Go navigation system meets the needs of most users. The NAVTEQ maps are updated by a dedicated web interface.
- Renault R-Link is connected to both the car and the internet at the same time. The complete, attractive and user-friendly Renault R-Link system in New Renault Clio Estate offers motorists all the services that they have also dreamt of. With around 50 apps, the R-Link Store is already well placed to set the standard as an automotive application provider.
STAY CONNECTED WITH R-LINK
The performance and ease of use of Renault R-Link, available as standard or as an option priced €590, will appeal to all technically-minded drivers. The large 7" (18cm) touch-screen is backed up by intuitive voice controls.
The six-icon menu provides direct access to all the applications: navigation, multimedia, hands-free telephone, the vehicle itself, services and applications, plus the system settings. And the customizable Home Page is unique on the market.
DESIGNED FOR USE AT THE WHEEL IN COMPLETE SAFETY
The system's functions are designed to be used intuitively and in complete safety by drivers, without taking their eyes off the road. Designed for intuitive use, Renault R-Link features fingertip and voice controls.
- Fingertip control of every function using the touchscreen or the audio and telephone controls mounted on the steering wheel.
- Intuitive voice control that drivers can use to dictate the address of their destination or to give simple instructions, such as "make a call", (followed by a number or a name in the contacts), "go to…" or "drive to" (followed by a destination), "launch…" (followed by an application name) such as "launch e-mail".
The Text To Speech function (TTS) permits messages or RSS feeds from certain applications to be read out loud automatically when the vehicle is on the move.