Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru automobiles, has introduced the Subaru "WRX S4" in Japan. Subaru's all-new sports sedan goes on sale today at Subaru dealers throughout Japan.
The WRX S4 sports sedan combines Subaru's state-of-the-art all-wheel drive (AWD) sports performance with unique overall safety features, superior environmental friendliness and refined quality. Subaru's core value of AWD sports performance lies at the heart of the high-level fusion of these four attributes, enabling more drivers to comfortably enjoy breathtaking Subaru performance with peace of mind. The S4 tag denotes the four values of "sports performance", "safety performance", "smart driving" and "sophisticated feel".
Teamed with Sport Lineartronic transmission, the 2.0-liter high-performance direct injection turbo (DIT) engine maximizes output and torque*1 for impressive power performance. As well as offering sporty, fun driving with plenty of direct feedback, the WRX S4 achieves advanced levels of environmental friendliness*2. Moreover, this is the first model in the WRX series to be equipped with Subaru's own EyeSight driving assist system for enhanced overall safety. Comprehensive body and chassis enhancements have achieved a high-quality ride, greatly reducing driver burden to support safe and comfortable driving.
Pure Power in Your Control
In developing the WRX S4, Subaru strived to create a new type of sports sedan, embodying the product concept for the new WRX series, "Pure Power in Your Control," and enabling more drivers to easily enjoy its impressive performance. By teaming sports performance with high levels of safety, environmental friendliness, and ride comfort, Subaru succeeded in crafting an accessible sports sedan that can be enjoyed by all drivers while still offering all the excitement of a performance vehicle.
Chassis and Body
Chassis and body performance have been thoroughly enhanced so that drivers can better control the absolute speed of combining Symmetrical AWD with a turbo Boxer engine.
- Working to stiffen both body and suspension while optimizing suspension geometry has both quickened vehicle response to driver steering input and raised the limit performance for cornering. In addition, Multi-mode Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) and Active Torque Vectoring have been added for even more predictable, more enjoyable driving.
- Many hours of in-depth suspension tuning have resulted in a flat, comfortable ride.
- The electric power steering is employed with more rigid steering gearbox mounts for a improved fuel efficiency and a more direct steering feel.
- The first model in the WRX series to be equipped with an electric parking brake for extra convenience.
Befitting of Subaru's flagship performance model, the exterior design expresses the strong presence of an ultimate AWD performance car with aggressive yet refined styling.
- The front end was built using a nose cone design for a dynamic solid shape, starting with Subaru's unified design motif, the hexagonal grille. The intrepid shape of the new hawkeye headlights is paired with the aggressive wide and low styling the WRX is known for.
- For side design, the bottom end of the A-pillar was extended 200 mm toward the front from the previous model and the C-pillar now smoothly transits into the trunk surface for a flowing silhouette. Front fender ducts and special sharp side sill spoilers show off the sporty nature of the WRX S4.
- The rear design further enhances the WRX S4's appeal as a performance model. The diffuser-integrated bumper and twin dual mufflers emphasize the low center of gravity and driving performance. Specially designed rear combination lamps were given a thin shape to highlight vehicle width. A small rear spoiler also enhances aerodynamic performance.
- A shark fin antenna is used to match the body and add more refinement to the styling.
- New 18-inch alloy wheels were designed to be more rigid and lighter.
- LED lighting is employed for the headlights (low beams and clearance lamps)*5, tail and brake lights and high-mounted brake light in an effort to improve fuel efficiency by saving power.
- WR Blue Pearl and Crystal White Pearl are two new exterior colors.
The WRX S4 interior is all about high performance. The driver's seat was designed to be like a cockpit—the moment the driver opens the door, they get transported miles from their daily life.
- For the first time, the WRX S4 gets a D-shaped steering wheel for a sportier impression. The grip shape is easy to hold onto with a small diameter for improved operability and tactile feedback, making for a more appealing driving experience.
- The leather-finish gearshift boot features red stitching. Piano black finishes and metallic accents highlight the sporty, high-quality feel of the interior.
- Befitting a high performance vehicle, the seats are designed with superior holding ability.
- Decorative carbon trim panels and metal trim accents have been arranged around the interior, centered on the controlling elements. This gives the interior a quality feel and harkens back to the WRX racing image.
- The meters employ a dual dial layout with horizontal needles, 3.5-inch full color liquid crystal display and aluminum rings for improved functionality and a quality feel. The attention to detail gives a refined, performance feel of a high performance car. The red-based lighting elicits a performance racing image, made even more noticeable by its contrast with the white needles.
- As another racing symbol, the multi-function display is equipped with a boost pressure display screen.
- The interior is solid black from roof to floor, bringing the whole interior together and allowing the driver to concentrate on driving. Quality materials soft to the touch are used in places the passenger will touch frequently for a more quality interior feel.
- Red is used throughout on stitching and meters in homage to the WRX racing image.